Values

What to do if your child is stung by a bee or wasp

What to do if your child is stung by a bee or wasp


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

In places with a lot of vegetation or where there are stagnant waters it is very normal to find hives and honeycombs of bees and wasps. They tend to be more active in times of heat and especially at dusk.

There are several species of wasps. The most common nest in small hives and appear as soon as we take the children's snack, we are in the pool or we have a picnic. They usually have a sharp stinger and after stinging several times they continue to live. Bees have a harpoon-shaped stinger that is stuck into the skin along with the venom and part of the bee's intestines, so they die after stinging.

The first thing we can do if the child has been stung by a bee is to extract the stinger without pressing on the poison bag so as not to introduce more. Treatment of a wasp or bee sting depends on whether the reaction is local or generalized:

- The local reaction It manifests as swelling, redness and pain in the area of ​​the bite. The treatment is to clean the area with soap and water and you can even apply diluted ammonia or bicarbonate to neutralize the poison. Cold compresses can also be applied to the area and we must prevent the child from scratching. Depending on the degree of swelling, an antihistamine and corticosteroids may be prescribed.

- The widespread reaction it causes general malaise, shortness of breath, intense inflammation even in areas where it has not been pecked, hives, sneezing, dizziness, low blood pressure and even loss of consciousness. It is known as an anaphylactic reaction. If the child has these symptoms, they should go to the emergency room immediately and administer adrenaline and antihistamines and corticosteroids if they are available.

Many times children run away or try to scare away bees and wasps, however it is advisable to do the opposite:

- Stay calm and move slowly without flapping your arms.

- Do not throw stones or objects at honeycombs or get too close.

- Keep food covered until we eat it and do not leave open sweet drinks within reach.

- Avoid stepping on bare feet and shaking clothes before dressing the child.

If the child has received a bee or wasp sting at a certain time and has had an intense local reaction or has suffered an episode of anaphylaxis, it must be evaluated by an allergist.

Children who are allergic to bee and wasp venom should always carry a medicine cabinet with autoinjectable adrenaline, corticosteroids and oral antihistamines. Children need to know how to self-administer adrenaline if they are old enough or parents should be trained to do so if they are young.

The treatment given to allergic children is the specific immunotherapy which happens by injecting the child with the same poison in small doses to generate immunity. It is carried out over 5 years and the child is protected for more than 10 years.

You can read more articles similar to What to do if your child is stung by a bee or wasp, in the category of Allergies on site.


Video: DEIJEON GETS STUNG BY A BEE!!! TB (May 2022).